PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2009, 19:51
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SaturnV,
AF459 is at "the level" of ORARO at 0237, earlier (some time after 0200) this flight had deviated to the west by 20NM to avoid an area of radar echoes. During the deviation, the radar, while on max gain, reveals an extensive squall line ahead. AF459 then deviates east of the airway by 70-80 NM. and rejoins the airway north of TASIL at the ASEBA waypoint.
I note that the above is a repeat of your 10 July posting. The problem I have is that the original interview with the AF459 F/O seems to have lost something in translation. So much so that its difficult to determine where and when they actually made their deviations. The "at the level" of ORARO could mean either abeam or at the same latitude. Really need INTOL time and TASIL estimate plus time at ASEBA to make much sense of where they actually went or were.

I still sense that the AF447 crew were preoccupied with the ADS-C log on with DAKAR. They didn't know that DAKAR hadn't received their flight plan, nor were they aware that DAKAR had created a virtual flight plan after receiving details from ATLANTICO, and that the existence of only a VFP prevented their ADS-C log on. Notwithstanding, the aviate, navigate and communicate rule should have applied.

The CVR is a "must have".

mm43