PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2009, 17:19
POBJOY

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Kenley Pics(Farns)

Would the initials be KF perchance.
The houses on the approach (Gauntlet Cres) (married patch) were in fact built after powered flying ceased,and therefore of little consequence to operations, but provided a welcome boost to potential female contacts for lonely winch drivers !!!
I think these have now gone to be replaced by an expensive development.
In the 60/70's Kenley had stayed in its wartime state with all its messes,and those buildings that survived the Aug 18th (1940) raid.
615 GS eventually moved into the metal T2 hangar,and then when the RAF left, into the Belfast with the old control tower as its HQ.
So there we were, our own Battle of Britain airfield to ourselves,and in the last of the famous buildings.
With the end of the "messes" we used to frequent the "Roundabout Cafe" in Caterham Valley,and those that were old enough the "Wattenden Arms".
Having a technical civil servant (Fl Lt George Nunn) as our CO, non flying days were spent (when not sorting our various personal transport)constructing a variety of wheeled machines for "glider retrieve,cable towing,and a control caravan with a proper lights system, wind generator",(and tea facilities) (no bats at Kenley)
615 had formed out of several relocated schools including Detling,and was proud to carry on the traditional number from the wartime "County of Surrey" squadron.
Like Farns and Frelon the stories that surround such a historic location are legion,but i always regret not being around when the spitfire was on the dump (after the Reach for the sky film)
When i joined the local 450 squadron (age 12) the hulk had gone,although we still had a merlin engine on a stand in our store near the small arms range.
Anyway thats enough for now must keep some good stories for later.
Pobjoy