PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New secrets in the Boeing 737-800 Cockpit
Old 19th Sep 2009, 13:42
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I come from an era in aviation when it was the Captain's "sacred duty" to ensure that the following generations of Captains were better than they were themselves. Ideally this came about by the following generation's application of their own skills, PLUS the collective wisdom of the preceding generations which had been dutifully passed on.

I hope that, as I am now one of the older generation, that I have performed my "sacred duty". I think that I have, but it is not for me to judge, it is up to the current generation of Captains and First Officers whom I influenced to make that judgement.

Aviation is an information intensive industry, the more knowledge that we share, the better we all are for it. As an old fart now, I'm finding that the younger generation has more than a little good information to share with me. Why should someone be "put down" simply because in his/her relative inexperience they are sharing something which, in all good faith, they believed to be unknown to most? Young dogs CAN and DO teach old dogs new tricks every day. Encourage them, don't put them down.

h3dxb, you quoted I like to show planedriver how little they know about their aircrafts. Why? If you are an experienced professional as you claim to be, what 'kick' do you get out of belittling someone? As an experienced professional (your claim), would it not be more appropriate to enlighten them and contribute towards their overall worth, both as a pilot and a fellow human being? You, sir, are delinquent in your "sacred duty".

I wish that PPRuNe had been around when I was a young pilot. The CONSTRUCTIVE inputs of the numerous TRUE professionals who lurk these pages would have accelerated my learning experience considerably.

cpt_shawky, keep up the good work!

Regards,

Old Smokey