PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2009, 19:50
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat spins and obsession

Flat spins seem to be a nice boogey man again, with some people seeming to insist that was the mechanism behind the AF447 demise.

I cannot naysay that they're incredibly dangerous events. I can observe that in a nice flat spin the plane's not "going anywhere." (I parenthetically note that that nice big flag in the air called a vertical stabilizer isn't going away, either, given the parameters for its removal from AF447 by a forward push rather than a sideways push. That means the spin would have to be a seriously slow spin.)

What I can observe is mm43's excellent work, again. (And if needed again and again.)

Look at the last reported position. Look at the ACARS messages. How does a flat spin account for the potential impact locations as derived by mm43's many efforts including but not limited to Crash Location - A revisit using OSCAR & Quikscat data and Bathymetry - centered on 3°N 31°W?

When you can reconcile these inconvenient facts with a flat spin scenario and why the plane got to those potential impact points and THEN chose to flat spin I'll entertain that scenario for AF447. Until then it appears to be vaporous wanderings of a group of people bored out of their minds with this discussion.

Maybe another topic would be a good place to vamp on "flat spin" conditions, their dangers, recovery therefrom, and aircraft parameters that seem to foster or prevent flat spins.

JD-EE {o.o} Just sayin'

Last edited by JD-EE; 18th Sep 2009 at 19:51. Reason: and - note I said "seeming" on that first line....