PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: RAAF Mirage Forced Landing Pattern
Old 16th Sep 2009, 08:28
YoDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The glide ratio, was approximately 2 or 3 to one, that is 2-3 miles over the ground for every thousand feet lost......... the approximate 10 to one ratio of a single engine light plane!!!!
I think glide ratio is measured in the same units horizontal and vertical. A lightie (like the CT4A as we mentioned) will make about one NM per 1000ft. That's about 6:1. Definitely NOT 10NM for every 1000ft although that IS the realm of a modern glider! (60-70)

I remember Garry Cooper from a while back. A hell of a nice guy. It was a while ago but I thought he said the MoH story went something like this: He spent the night in a rice paddy with the Col, plinking the gooks who were there looking for them. Whenever there was enough background noise from artillery, etc, he'd put his head up and take a shot then **** back off to a different side of the paddy. When the rescue bird arrived he'd run out of ammo and had to club to death another one of them with the empty rifle so he could get past and climb aboard the Huey. Great stuff!

Then there was the bloke (Al Quaife??) who ran out of noise on approach to Darwin and stepped out of the otherwise serviceable Mirage. The Mirage then landed smoothly by itself in a mangrove swamp outside of Darwin and was later recovered largely intact. I think it might still be in a hangar up there. No doubt he got a lot of razz!

The name on the brain bucket cannot be seen in that photo so naming him is inappropriate - if he wants to out himself that is one thing but you cannot

Much Ado