PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autopilot and Manual Pilot
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2009, 13:55
bucket_and_spade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly Boeing 757s.

When the autopilot is engaged, the control column moves in exactly the same way as it would if we were putting in the inputs manually. The thrust levers also move in exactly the same way when the autothrottle is engaged. On the Airbus the sidestick controller doesn't move at all with the autopilot engaged. Neither do the thrust levers.

When the autopilot is disengaged in the B757 it will give the aircraft to the pilot in a nice trimmed state (assuming it wasn't working hard to trim the aircraft upon disengagement, in which case you'd get a partially trimmed aircraft). A similar thing happens when the autothrottle is disconnected (99% of the time at the same time as the autopilot ) - the thrust levers will remain where they were on disconnect. This is why I always give the engine gauges a quick glance before I disconnect the autothrottle to make sure the power is about right for the phase of flight I'm in or else the speed will probably start to deviate away from what I want.

The autopilot can't control the rudder (unless we're in the latter stages of an autoland) so it only has the ailerons/roll control spoilers and elevators (plus the trimming tailplane) available for flying the aircraft.