PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Met Office - not fit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2009, 10:29
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metman

Couldn't agree more with your very detailed and (in my view) accurate summary.

When I was gliding, the weather forecast was a vital tool in deciding whether or not it was going to be worthwhile rigging or not. For that I used synoptics for the next day or so and would monitor the BBC when they did use them properly.

On the day itself, what I chose to do was what the weather would allow me to do and I would change the task to suit the conditions.

Now I am a hobby power-pilot I see that many of my fellow pilots have spent days planning a specific flight for lunch at a particular airfield or to meet a slot-time at the Sywell Rally, for example.

When the weather prevents this happening because of early fog not burning off, or a delay in the passage of a front by 4 hours, their day is wrecked and they go home disappointed fuming at the Met Office.

I would really like the BBC, or someone, to do a debrief of the weather to explain why the weather changed from that forecast. It would help in understanding the ebbs and flows of the weather (not climate) that we fly in.

But now because of the target-setting culture and KPIs no-one dare risk being in the wrong, and that is a shame.