PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disorientated pilot near Oban!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2009, 12:01
Phill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without wishing to dissect the wherefores, does anyone know the aircraft type and/or pilot experience level?
Apparently "limited" was the polite answer to the experience, and C206 as previously mentioned for type.

I am always keen to build a picture of the type of aircraft and pilot experience level of those who do GA Iceland - Scotland ferry flights in SEP's as it's been offered up to me in the past and I have politely declined. The only chap I met who brought an SEP over here was barking mad! lol
I have met many of these flying types, they can generally be placed into two groups (with a few exceptions).

1. Very Professional, switched on, safety orientated (as far as you can with a SEP) and experienced pilots.

2. The aforementioned Barking mad! And some of these with a combination of "it'll never happen to me" mentality or complete and utter lack of understanding of the consequences when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately there are a number of hour builders that get caught up in ferrying aircraft along the NAT route without any, or very limited, experience of flying in WX outside of VFR conditions.

Unfortunately this pilot was not the first and she won't be the last.