PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - counter-insurgency (COIN) aircraft comeback?
Old 1st Sep 2009, 09:09
Yeoman_dai

Location: See that little island just above France? Yeah, there...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started a load of them, mainly based around the US and Iraq's search for a new dedicated COIN aircraft.

If I remember the prevailing views, UAV's although useful don't have the situational awareness of a slow flying COIN plane with two crew, and cannot operate from the same far forwards rough strip. The Super Tucano seemed to be the aircraftof choice, although some of course suggested Bronco, Pucara and even return of the SkyRaider!

If you look here

Defense Tech: COIN Air Force on its Way

It shows how the USAF are thinking of creating an irregular air force Wing to specifically deal with low intensity operations.

Theren there is this Defense Tech: The COIN Plane Race Heats Up a dedicated attempt to replace the SPAD.

If you are also interested, here is an excellent article by a retired USAF colonel about the need for a COIN PIREP - Irregular Warfare and the US Air Force: The Way Ahead

And here The Penny Drops: Iraq Chooses its COIN Aircraft is an atricle on which COIN aircraft of 4 the Iraqi airforce has chosen - the Texan II, mostly IMHO because it's American.

Listening to the informed on here, I don't really think you can go far wrong with a Super Tucano. It has built in guns (not gatling type weapons, so they will be more accurate), two crew to share spotting and workload, the ability to loiter for 5 hours, and operate from very tough strips (as one article mentions, it's judged very 'heavy' for a trainer but thats a byproduct of its touch build', and I know that it CAN be equipped with JDAM's and a whole range of modern weaponry. Even Brimstone wouldn't be beyond in IMO. Just my 2 pence.