PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The VC 10
Thread: The VC 10
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 20:20
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation is indeed a totally lost art thanks to 30 years of INS. Sextants, periscope mounts, Loran C, Consol, Air Plots, Grid Navigation......all consigned to the bin. It is very sad, but inevitable. In the long hours over the Atlantic, I regale any young pilots unfortunate enough to fly with me with the story of Consol, how the Germans set it up during the war for N. Atlantic U-boats at Quimper, Vigo and somewhere else, and how it worked, and how I used to follow through how it was used, and listen to it counting the dots to get a radial. And how the British knew what it was straight away, and could have 'demolished' it, but found it really rather a splendid navigation aid anyway, so we happily used it as well. Nobody ever quite explained to me why the Spanish were setting up a German navigation aid in the war when they were neutral?

Aeroplanes used to be met by Hawaiian girls in grass skirts and flowers strategically covering bits that needed covering, and local agents in fezes. Nowadays we fly round people with mullets and singlets wearing running shorts that don't hide the budgerigar they obviously have hidden in their shorts, and thongs (sandals!). Something of the romance of modern aviation vanished when the masses were introduced to air travel! They demolished it.