PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice after finishing training - what do I do next (Merged)
Old 27th Aug 2009, 14:33
sbetts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

First time I have posted here, have read it for many years though. Still amazes me the amount of hostility dealt out by some people, yes they are incredibly frustrating times, but that is no excuse for being verbaly abussive. Imagine spending 5 hours in a cockpit with that sort of temperament!
I whole heartedly agree with the "genuine" advice though, I started training in 2001, sold a dream by an FTO, thought I had done my research properly etc etc. Passed everything first time yada yada, then spent the next 7 years trying EVERTHING to get a job, instructed, did free stuff you name it...nothing, no job. I got really bitter about it, blamed everyone but myself, but it's a free world, I didn't have to spend £60,000. Then to top it all, out of the blue, I lost my medical !(In hindsight probably a good job I didn't get a job)
Take the advice on here, these people are speaking from bitter experience, this industry is not like any other, it is wholly about putting a qualified person in a profitable plane, for as little cost as humanly possible. Doesn't matter a jot if you think you are an exceptional pilot, passed everything first time etc.
In my opinion it is the duty of the FTO to be more open about the realities of getting a job (but hey, they are trying to make ends meet as well), Looking back I was such a naive tw*t when I started, believed everything the FTO told me.

Anyways thats my piece said..

Good luck to all you wannabes, but THINK HARD(er) before parting with any cash, it really is unforgiving out there!!