PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The VC 10
Thread: The VC 10
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 10:49
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
But didnt the 707 fleet have Hawaii postings as well?
Yes. I was on one of the first ones, Summer 1961, we operated SFO - HNL - TYO v.v. The 707 took over from the Brit. 312, crews of which had sat for 3 months in HNL with nothing to do, awaiting each day for Pres. Eisenhower to sign some Air Service Agreement to allow them to operate SFO - HNL. When the agreement was finally signed, BOAC changed the type to the 707.

The RAF had a detachment on Hickam, 1 S/Ldr 2 F/Lt. and 3 s.a.c. servicing the Hastings that passed through en-route to the Atom Bomb testing ranges near Christmas Island.

The local school allowed the children out early on Thurdays, to see a tail-wheel aeroplane !

The RAF S/ldr. had to entertain the Chief of Air Staff and attendant A.D.C. on one visit, he took them to the Cannon Club, the US Army Officers Club inside Diamond Head. His entertainment allowance from the Air Ministry was 25c / day !

Our cabin crew were operating a Round the World Service, so had a couple of days 'slip' in HNL each way. The RAF had a water-ski boat - we had stewardesses. We reached an amicable arrangement. I first water-ski'd on the lagoon adjacent to the airport, which was later filled in to become the Reef Runway, 08R. In later years I used to tell my crew that I had learned to water-ski on this runway. They thought I was mad.

It was the era of the Magnificent Seven movie, there were 7 BOAC crews on the posting, the 7 S/O's adopted the theme tune from the film as 'our' signature tune !!

Came out of the Night Club in the International Market Place one early morning, stopped by the Police, did I know where I was ? Yes, Honolulu. Smart ass, this is Kalakaula Avenue, a 25 mph zone. Why aren't your lights on ? Why did you do a U turn, got your arm around your girl friend and I think you've been drinking ( correct !). Licence - wot's this, a Limey licence ? Suppose we call it $10 for speeding ? Done, and I don't need a receipt !!

Happy days.

I got married as a result of that posting. !!