PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra hours
Thread: Canberra hours
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 22:58
BSweeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Canberras from 1975-79 and one of the pilots I had the pleasure of flying with was Sqn Ldr ("gentleman") Jim Cox - certainly one of the best pilots I ever flew with (and there were a lot). I am sure he celebrated 4000hrs in Canberras (he was an ex leader of the 4 ship Canberra aerobatic team). The Boss was on the tarmac with a celebratory bottle bubbly with the Staish at the time, when Jim broke into the circuit and proceeded to do an immaculate Canadian Break - Boss went red but no words were said!!

He once demonstrated that to me coming back from the Orkneys at 2000ft after a JMC mission, when I was stood next to him (I was only 5' 5"). I'll show you my Canadian Break he said. Right ho I said, I'll strap in. No need he said, just watch the G-meter, it'll go from 1g to 1.3g, back to 1g, then down to .75g, and then back to 1g. And it did exactly that! You could have put a cup of coffee on the coaming, it was that smooth.

I did Bruce Bull's last IR (and flight in the RAF) in a Canberra with Jim. After demonstrating the standard asymmetric approach procedure, he asked Jim if he had passed, which of course he had (Bruce was an outstanding pilot), and then demonstrated what he would really do if faced with an engine out. This was essentially to come in fast (150kt - faster than the safety speed, to which you normally reduced below, at 600 feet - which meant you were committed to land) and at 300ft, dump the throttle, put down the flaps at the appropriate time and land - thereby never having the degree of asymmetric thrust problem using the other method.

I always remember sitting in the back of a practice asymmetric to land one night when the pilot announced - "ball in the middle, on the glidepath , 600ft - my decision is to land" and at 300ft, "I don't think we are going to make it". My right hand was descending fast when the QFI/IRE said "don't eject I think we can get the other one in time"!! For those not acquainted with the Canberra, I think its probably true to say more people were killed practising asymmetics than those for real.

Just for the record, my first flight at St Mawgan was in WK 127 -Jul 1 1976. The T19 could carry four people, and often did for ferries and rangers. It was so slippery it could make Gibraltar with 3000lbs of fuel less than the heavier TT18.

Happy days.

Last edited by BSweeper; 26th Aug 2009 at 21:30.