PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Met Office - not fit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 16:43
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering

It didn't dissipate it went steaming north up the West coast
Fair point. Bad explanation on my part. I stand corrected.

That's a statement of fact - don't need a lesson in viz. Glasgow viz was good (much greater than 10k) apart from one actual of 6k.
Again fair point, but the difference in forecast vis. vs. actual seemed to be one of your main bones of contention, so I just thought I'd mention it. Didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing you or anything.

... no problem if you're taking a knitting class but not for aviation flight planning
No need to be sarky chum... but plenty of us seem to make do with it okay for flight planning. Perhaps knitting TAFs would be useful however for the grannies

A "tad" - Prob 40 - Gust 35 ?!
Sorry, semi-humourous understatement.

I watched it track up through Ireland on radar - I also looked at the actuals from Shannon, Dublin and Belfast - perhaps they could have done the same and updated the TAF.
Agreed, why this didn't happen I don't know.

Not fit for my purpose (such as making a safe decision to go flying) and it seems many others such as the sailing community.
Unfortunately for yourself the MO are the sole provider of all the UK's TAFs, there again there are plenty of us, Smithy included, who do find it fit for purpose and get on with it fine. I can't speak for the sailors however.

Don't forget the mistake could have been the other way round - a good forecast which turns into a very bad one.... which happens often too.
It can happen, and no doubt will. There was an almighty storm the year I was born which Michael Fish told us not to worry about...

When they say "accurate" in that leaflet, no doubt they are referring to their own standards, set by themselves. They are a profit-making company so they have to blow their trumpet a bit. Again though I can't speak for marine forecasts but the aviation ones mostly seem reasonable to me, apart from the occasional "blip", which is to be expected, unless they start employing Mystic Meg, or using Tarot Cards etc. to predict the Wx, to ensure 100% accuracy

Smithy