PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Head Concerned With Cockpit Experience
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 20:57
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course, anyone would rather see those entering the airline business have a history of competent time “in the seat” with excellent pilot skills, a willingness to learn what they don't know, and so forth. And, there are some who really believe that there are an adequate number of those types hiding in the weeds, simply awaiting the airlines to advertise that they need pilots with exactly those skills. Also, there are those who believe that there are “seasoned, veteran pilots” currently flying for the regional airlines who will be ready, willing, and able, to move to the national or major airlines in numbers more than sufficient to cover those who are going fill the vacancies due to retirements and an increase in the aircraft in service over the next 10 – 12 years. Of course, its always possible that these folks are correct - and then again, maybe they're not correct.

There are those who believe that with the number of aircraft that the manufacturers are gearing up to deliver over the next dozen years, or so, (and both Boeing and Airbus are predicting record breaking deliveries each month throughout at least the first portion of that period) and the number of pilots who will reach retirement (at least in the US) in that same period, the numbers of pilots that will be needed (again, in the US) will be approximately 400 per month, each month throughout that period. Personally, I doubt that the “weeds” are hiding that number of pilot candidates with the desired qualifications. IF that is true, one of 3 things will be required: 1) the airlines will have to hire those with minimum qualifications (i.e., 200 – 250 hours, an instrument rating, and a commercial certificate); 2) the airlines will have to get into the ab-initio training business; or 3) there will be companies who will train ab-initio pilots – in a manner similar to the MPL methodologies currently being incorporated around the globe – to provide acceptable first officer candidates. The questions then become, what kind of first officers are needed when a good share of the captains are going to have just barely more flight time than is required for the ATP? … and perhaps most importantly, what method will provide the best candidate (combining knowledge, skill, and experience) for the cost involved? I'd submit that the options are not unlimited.

And ... as far as Mr. Babbitt is concerned, I think that passing judgment on what he is going to do or is considering doing is a bit premature. Shouldn't we wait until he's been at the controls for a bit more than 90 days at least?