PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2009, 09:03
Bis47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New bit of information

It is not stated in the report who was the flying pilot ... I guess it was the young copilot. Most take-off accidents I studied in the past happenned while the copilot was handling the aircraft ...

The preliminary report give us a few additionnal bits of information about the crew poor airmanship (let us be straight about that, without diplomacy).

- The captain interrupting a check list ... without any need for that, without any external pressure.
- The copilot passing a phone call from the cockpit and putting himself "out of the loop"
- The captain not commenting about the copilot remark stating the unavailibility of autothrust during take-off ... so they tried it anyway

- The conduct of the crew during the long long long stall warning operation is amazing. They had indeed about 10 seconds to avoid the catastrophe. Just push the stick one inch or two forward ... This correction would come in less than one second ... Further more, they initially reacted to an imaginary engine failure ... and retarded one of the thrust levers ... (light piston twin typical reaction, in a hurry to feather ...).

Poor pilots ... for sure. Poor training, poor selection ? I think so.

Too bad that, at this stage, the report does not mention the training curriculum of the young co-pilot. It woud be worth looking at the records, all of them, including "ab initio" ...

Yes, there is one way to dramatically reduce "pilot error" : select the best ones (not the rich one), give them a decent training as pilots ... not as system operators !