PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2009, 21:26
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
At it's peak around 1980, Talair had 69 aircraft, operating 83,000 flight sectors in 44,000 flying hours per annum. The airline operated a scehduled airline network which included 140 separate airports, the free world's second largest number of scheduled airports (after British Airways). The engine shop in Goroka produced in excess of one overhauled piston engine per week (to an excellent standard!). It was one of the largest operators of Pratt & Whitney engines in the region, over 90 PT6, JT15 and PW120 series engines and with 23 Islanders, the world's largest fleet of the type.

At a meeting in Lae with then Minister for Transport Iambaki Okuk (Talair was grounded for "illegally" increasing airfares), Junior and myself (maybe around 1980 (?), Okuk accused Talair of causing over 50% of all aircraft accidents in PNG. I pointed out we operated over 60% of all PNG commercial aircraft and performed 76% of all hours flown in PNG. The grounding was lifted after two days as the country's internal travel ground to a halt.

MBA/APNG has probably almost filled the void previously occupied by Talair. I suspect the volume of air travel in PNG has probably increased very significantly from my time in PNG (1964 to 1985).

I don't and won't accept accidents "just happen" - accidents are not inevitable, they are avoidable. Each accident and incident must be fully investigated and lessons learned from the terrible loss of life that has occurred in the last 88 years.

That Sid O'Toole has to go to the media is an indictment on the atrocious and appalling aviation regulation management in PNG in recent years. I think Sid mentioned $/K4.1 million in funding? That is a mere pittance compared to the ill gotten gains of some in PNG politics.

Last edited by Torres; 18th Aug 2009 at 21:37.