PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information regarding the Top End
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2009, 01:33
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our op still uses 206 and 210s (and a G1000 182). Not airvans, although agreed, they are becoming more common.

When I was looking around (admittedly many years back), most of the low time employers required the 20 hrs on type for insurance (if not 400TT) although you'll probably do at least this during your initial ICUS. Is this still the case?
GG?
You usually do about 5 hours ICUS for VFR and 10 for IFR before being let loose. It also depends on the insurance requirements for the operator.

Usually a checkride will be 0.5ish consisting of a few circuits in different configs (flap, half flap, flapless etc) they'll pull the power on you ATO and ask were you are going to land and perhaps later in the circuit see you conduct a glide approach from late downwind. (If you're flying a wide circuit cause you are not used to the speed of a 210 you won't make it) You'll then get a route check with the CP and do a few ICUS legs with the senior guys before being let loose on your own.

250TT used to be the ticket when I started, and 520/540 time is pretty good. If your school has a 182rg use it for your CPL as it has a 540 and retract with similar performance to a 210 (although the 540 is no 520 thats for sure)

Jandakot Flight Centre have a 210 (VH-MVQ) which they are happy to check you out on and may even give you some ICUS. (They do Perth to Shark Bay a few times a week) If you are from the East Coast you are best off to fly into Perth, buy a car, do a checkride on the 210 and drive up the West Coast. Cars in Darwin are over priced (2k will get you a $500 car) and they are even worse off in the country towns. Buy a cheap reliable (no Hyandai or the likes) 4 cyl with Aircon like a Toyota Corolla, Nissan Pulser etc chuck a spare set of belts in the back, cheap tools some oil/coolant and a spare water pump and hoses just in case.

This time of year it gets pretty cold at night in the tropics especially inland around Kununurra so don't make the mistake I did, take jumpers and jackets!!

Oh and never rock up in Pilot Uniform for an interview - dress to impress (no thongs flip flops or jandels) Take 3 blue shirts and 3 white (Alligator wear Khaki now, I believe and they look like Steve Irwin RIP) Invest in a GPS (Garmin 96/196/296 are the way to go)

There were lots of guys that didn't get work in Kunus this year (mainly Kiwis from what I heard) so don't take it to heart if you don't get work. If you are patient it will happen just don't lower your standards and work for below the award. Know your entitlements and if quized about what you would like to be paid always reply with the award.

GG