Old 23rd Jul 2009, 08:29
shoppingcart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for love and money

we do love our job
the newspapers are right
the jobs Brett G. and Bruce H. created
but where are they now?

Even in the tough times at the beginning, wages were low but we went above and beyond to make the company thrive. We did heaps of work related stuff in our own time. Every new initiative they asked us to do to help the company thrive we did with a smile.

It was give and take.

7 years on our wages improved as a thank you for the tough times and even though there's still a new initiative around the corner its still carried out with an Award-winning smile. 8 years on we still do these things, but even with new technology in place, they dont make it on to a timesheet.

The current management who have written this EBA haven't been there very long have not been through 8 years worth of changes with us. They don't know or even try to understand. They are so focused on the millions they want to see saved, they don't care that the wages offered will not line up with our timesheets because all the 'for the love of it' activities will have to be on top of even more work hours.

Do they really think we don't want to do any more because we are lazy? Even though they offer time off as the carrot, there's no guarantee I will get it for that special event I want to go to, it will still be subject to operational requirement$. Did they not listen to us last time? There's no point in trying to convince us to vote yes for something that's not guaranteed - like the bidding system last time. The extra 10th day off is either going to be used sleeping because of the extra long days work I'll be doing or it will be a Tuesday that I didn't want anyway. There's no guarantee around ad hoc leave in the document. I'll still be waiting for it to be approved way beyond the term has come and go. If they want us to have the hours of admin workers or ground workers, then give us a desk or a counter, not an aisle to run up and down all day at 8,000ft pushing and pulling heavy equipment, hundreds of people looking to me when they are hungry, thirsty or scared.

I know which way to vote - for the love of my job, to safeguard it and a fair pay. The current management are trying to take more than they are giving and they are not caring about the job or that the Award-winning smile which will slip away.

Last edited by shoppingcart; 23rd Jul 2009 at 08:43.