PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A345 Tail Strike Captain breaks his silence
Old 20th Jul 2009, 11:45
Cornelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Emirates does the performance calculation with the help of lap tops. They only use one when there are two available (spare). I've flown the A-320 and we used both laptops where at the same time the captain and the co-pilot independantly performed the calculations with data obtained from the load sheet and the ATIS. Then the FMS (performance part) was programmed by the captain and again checked by the co pilot. Seems to me that there something wrong with the SOP's regarding performance calculation and data entry. Still, also on the 747-400 it is possible to insert the ZFM where the GW should be entered, and although equiped with a Mass an Balance system (ERF) there is no comparison to trigger an alert should faulty entries be made. Hope you did the maths with the proper GW so you "önly" end up with wrong speeds but thank god with the right amount of thrust. It happens more often then described in this thread that a take off is made with faulty numbers punched in the box. It can happen to all of us, hope the emirates crew will be allright regarding there jobs careers etc. Good luck to all of them.