PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2009, 10:59
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave ( Goosequill). Sorry some things I am positive about , other things I am not sure about. I remember I did have surplus , one flying helmet and goggles, and one Sidcot suit,which was rubberised and waterproof, (ideal for motor cycling) one battledress and trousers, one barathea uniform. The mystery is no items are struck off in my flying clothing card . When I was demobbed I was told I was still in the R.A.F.V.R until further notice, and quite sure I never received the ‘further notice’ Maybe I retained some kit legally ? I should point out most Sidcot suits were not waterproof.
A W.W2 flying helmet was withdrawn recently on Ebay, with a reserve of £500. Sadly my helmet , like me has almost disintegrated.

With regard to the revolver, I still possessed it ,and ammunition when in Germany after V.J Day, and initially I kept it loaded in my inside pocket as I expected to be very unpopular in Germany. However I soon found out the most of the Germans were very friendly. We could walk around Hanover , and Brunswick in uniform quite safely , and surprisingly we were treated with respect.

As for cleaning rods Dave. Not as bad a joke as the erk who indented for Hangers , Coat ,
and received Hangars Aircraft. (Sorry , a corny stores joke)

Reg, I never fired the revolver in anger , but do remember skiving one organized sports afternoon, opting for firing practice on the ’butts’ ( very strenuous) and later doing a bit of game shooting near Diedelsdorf., Hares and rabbits fetched a good price in town.

With regard to the collar controversy ,I wore a detached collar and shirt all the time, with the exception of when I was flying, I then wore a polo jersey without collar and tie. (See scan of letter below.), We were issued with ‘Caps , comforter’ These were in the form of a knitted tube, which could be worn as a scarf, or one half tucked inside the other , then rolled up to form a hat. Think they may have been intended for use under a ‘tin lid’ (steel helmet) Sorry about the description, can any one do better ? Regle F/SGT Keller/ Couler collected our spare collars weekly, and took them to a Torquay Chinese laundry for washing/ironing/ starching. Always thought he would have his laundry expertly laundered free gratis.

Any one know the correct term for the item above. Microgram? Micro film.?