PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A345 Tail Strike Captain breaks his silence
Old 16th Jul 2009, 04:49
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the second tailstrike accident to occur with a 100 tonne error in the take off performance, the other being a Singapore Airlines 747 in 2001 in Aukland.
Uh, I believe this has happed a lot more than twice, sometimes the error is 100 tonnes, sometimes it is 100,000 lbs depending on the operation. And, it has happened in landing as well from a couple of incidents I am aware of. Of course, many of us have flown the same aircraft type in pounds and kilos, an insidious error can creep into numbers that might look good for the other measurement system.

I have a friend who kissed the tail on a widebody Boeing a few years ago with the 100K error. He was on a long runway and knew something was amiss at the attempted rotation. He lowered the nose slightly and tried again and it flew off with a flat spot on the tailskid. The usual factors that he had are almost always present in widebody longhaul flight, fatigue, jetlag and a three ring circus of distractions in the cockpit just before departure.

I've come close to making the 100K mistake myself with a rushed departure to make a slot time and a runway change after blockout. I took one last look at the numbers while on the taxiway and sure enough, the data for 100K less weight was what we had. On another day I hope I would have caught it but maybe not.