PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Training Command Losses 1970s
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 09:59
StartLimiting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was on the same course as Chris Woolmer - 36 course E Flt 3 Sqn 3 FTS RAF Leeming.

He died on 30 September 1969.

My memory is rather vague but I think that although he had just graduated to the JP4, due to a shortage of jets, he was detailed for a solo in a JP3.

He took off on the short runway which, if I am correct, was R/W30 (no longer in use) and could be a bit tricky and crashed in a field just off the end of the runway. As far as I understand Chris made an unsuccessful attempt to eject but was too late, too low.
Some of us saw the crash from the ops room.

I can't remember the outcome of the BoI but if my description is wrong, I apologise unreservedly.

I have a photo of the crashed aircraft which was fleet number 6 - XN575, I had last flown this aircraft on 24 Sep.

We were all very upset at the time as Chris was a popular guy and that evening we went to the pub at Ainderby Steeple and got absolutely plastered.

I understand that his name is included on the Armed Forces Memorial in Staffordshire and on the Rolls of Honour that are kept on public display in the Church of St Clement Danes in London.

RiP

Last edited by StartLimiting; 14th Jul 2009 at 11:46.