PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill - Photos from the Early 1950's 1,2,3 (Merged)
Old 11th Jul 2009, 06:39
Warmtoast

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Biggin Hill - Photos from the Early 1950's 1,2,3 (Merged)

Following photos are scanned from 3˝ x 2˝-inch prints in my album so are not of ideal quality. Original negatives were lost in a 1970's house move - which is a pity.

Biggin Accommodation Blocks
Taken from the back seat of a 41- Sqn Meteor T7 as it returned to Biggin from a Target Towing air-to-air gunnery practice mission over the English Channel. The A233 Bromley to Westerham road runs right to left in the middle with the officer’s mess and married quarters on the far side of the road. I was billeted on the first floor of the block with the bright face just in front of the Meteor's left engine nacelle. The pre-fab type huts to the right housed the Biggin Hill Operations briefing rooms. See next photo for the same scene over fifty years later!

Queen Mother - Biggin Hill April 1955
As their Honorary Air Commodore, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, visited Nos. 600 and 2600 (City of London) Squadrons at Biggin Hill on Saturday 23rd April 1955. She flew from Smith’s Lawn, Windsor Great Park, to Biggin Hill in a Westland WS-55 "Whirlwind" helicopter of the Fleet Air Arm, making her first helicopter flight. HM was received by AVM H. L. Patch, A.O.C. No. 11 Group. Later she reviewed a parade of both squadrons and watched a formation fly-past of No. 600 Sqn aircraft and a demonstration of Bofors gun-drill by No. 2600 Sqn.

Biggin Hill - Queen Mum Visit to 600 Sqn RAuxAF - April 1955
Taken as the Fleet Air Arm Westland WS-55 with the Queen Mother aboard departed from the helicopter pad on the station parade ground on her return to Windsor Great Park. Her visit was not a particularly nice for one airman in the guard of honour when she pointed out to the SWO (Station Warrant Officer) that the airman's shoes were not as shiny as the others with the result that he was confined to camp of 14-days - this "offence" was the talk of the Station and was not received very kindly and left a somewhat bitter taste. It was also the occasion I believe when the then Under Secretary of State for Air, George Ward, who was present, was seen to be wearing socks of two different colours, one blue and one brown. When this discrepancy was pointed out, he famously commented: "I have another pair with the same colours in my wardrobe at home”!

41 Sqn Meteor 8s
41 Sqn, the one regular squadron at Biggin Hill was equipped with Meteor F.8s, both camouflaged and with bare metal finish as shown here. They re-equipped with Hunter F.5s in August 1955.

As I looked in 1954

Biggin Meteors Stream Take-off
Not sure which squadron these are from, possibly 600 or 615 – during a practice for AOC’s visit — I think.

Biggin Meteors Stream Take-off

600 & 615 Sqn Meteors flypast
Biggin Hill based Auxiliary squadrons Nos. 600 (City of London) and 615 (County of Surrey) flypast for the AOC's Annual Inspection 1954 or 1955.

600 & 615 Sqn Meteors flypast
Auxiliary squadrons Nos. 600 (City of London) and 615 (County of Surrey) do a formation break during their flypast for the AOC's Annual Inspection 1954 or 1955.

41 Sqn Hunter
41 Squadron re-equipped with Hawker Hunter F.5s in August 1955. This photo was taken looking south from the old control tower alongside the northern taxiway which runs parallel to the A233 road. In the left background can be seen the Gilfillan AN/MPN 4 Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) equipment. I had a collection of colour transparencies showing the GCA in action, with both inside and outside shots and with the talkdown operators working inside. Sadly they we lost in a 1970’s house move and are no longer to be found - a pity.

More to follow