PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle
Thread: Carlisle
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2009, 06:44
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goatface

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you again (it seems to be becoming a habit), but it is not true to say that "Southend ...... has now met serious opposition from the local authority". Both SBC and RDC are still supportive of the plans to develop SEN into a 2mppa regional airport with a runway extended to 1,799m. All that has happened recently is that the vocal opposition of some residents under the 24 departure flight path has rattled some Councillors who fear a loss of votes, so nothing new there.
I believe that Stobart do have the funding to redevelop CAX itself, and they are committed to doing so by the Section 106 agreement which forms part of the planning consent for the construction of their new HQ and warehouse complex on site. I'm sure that Andrew Judge will have sought, and been given, firm assurances as to what form the development will take.
In order to gain the current planning consent they had to reduce the size of the warehousing they planned to build, so any attempt to further industrialise the airport is likely to be doomed to failure as it would fall outside of that allowed under the local plan.

tornadoken

I assume you're saying that CAX will only find a market as a freight feeder into/from the main European hubs and that must certainly be one of the things that Stobarts are looking at, but I think you dismiss any pax potential too readily. I see no reason why it's local market and inbound tourism should not support a modest number of business/leisure routes and I doubt that FR are on their radar for commercial reasons. There must certainly be the possibility a CAX-London(SEN) service with that feeding into, say, a SEN-AMS route for starters. I for one would not have expected Newquay, which has a similar catchment population to Carlisle, to have been as successful as it now is so don't write off Carlisle's chances in the pax stakes just yet.