PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Overflights by RAF Crews during the "Cold War"
Old 4th Jul 2009, 23:56
midnight retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian overflights

Thank you for sharing John Cramptons article and also to David Baker of Aviation News for allowing PPRuNe members access to it.
Whilst I have followed this Operation over the years as a cold war mission with great interest this original report by Sqdrn Ldr Crampton is quite facinating and ,in my opinion needs updating in order that the full story can be told to the British Public some 56 years after the events in which the RAF demonstrated great bravery ,resourcefulness and determination in achieving the desired result.
Might I suggest someone of the calibre of Patrick Bishop ,the Author of Bomber Boys,could research and flesh out in further detail the story behind the the story?
It has to be that both sides of the equation have interesting records of these missions including those of the Russian hawks who apparently thought that WW3 might be starting !!
Regarding the comment about the Russians attempting to down the authors aircraft I seemto recall that the traitor KIm Philby was suspected of passing on the "flight plan "details to his Moscow masters who in turn alerted the Flak batteries down route,he had form for this sort of thing so it is just possible.