PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 00:46
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrived late on Thursday evening on the Ryanair from Ciampino and the queue, sorry I mean scrum for the UK Border check was immense. The hall was literally full, and the overwhelming majority of the desks were manned.

The atmosphere was pretty impatient and I could see it turning nasty with so many tired people crammed into such a confined area. There was occasional furtive chanting and loud sarcasm, this I am sure puts undue pressure on the people at the desk securing our borders. Babies were screaming and the elderly were swaying as the heat and crush built up. I of course had to have a passport to leave my own country, our Italian compatriots can wander in with what looks like a library card that I doubt can be verified in the short time available to the checker. The British passengers were embarrased at what a mess this was, and Labour was getting most of the blame.

However in fairness I'm not sure what else can be done. Checks need to be made, plenty of staff were present and the building has just been massively extended to cope. Of 20 desks, about 15 were manned and it still ground to a halt. On a hot night, it has all the ingredients for public disorder!

On another unrelated note, Stansted has a new runway, 04 / 22 as the magnetic pole contines on it's merry way!