PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemeni airliner down?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 07:43
threemiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Press reports (from survivor interview) that pax were briefed and had prepared for ditching.

To others who have actually flown the approach to 20, I wonder why it has to be so complex. Wouldn't a similar approach to (the now closed) Kai Tak 13 be easier? Fly inbound at something like 130 until the HAI VOR is 2 miles DME bearing (say) 170 and commence the turn keeping the 2 bright lights on the left as you do now (i.e. For the Kai Tak Checkerboad substitute the lights)
Approach procedures are laid out in reference to ICAO standards. They take into account cloud breaking at the Missed Approach Point only and hidden obstacles around. For good reasons they never lead straight into high terrain as your proposal would. The IAP 02 Visual/MVI 20 is pretty standard for locations like this and there is nothing weird about it. It may be difficult to fly when winds are strong, but it is a legal procedure. I again refer to Funchal, Madeira, daily flown numerous times, even much more complex. It is all about adherence to procedures and training.

Do the auto throttles move on the A310?
Yes.