PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Automation Policy in Airlines?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 13:47
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much of the objection to keeping one's hand in by hand flying, comes from those who are well aware of their own lack of piloting skill, and assume others have a similar inadequacy due either laziness or personal apprehension of exposing their rustiness to a keen pilot in the other seat.
Happy to say this doesn't apply to me, nor, anywhere in my post, did I suggest it might, nor did I suggest that an erosion of hand flying skills was acceptable.

Never mind all this 'get a grip' macho nonsense TeeEmm, when in a busy and congested TMA with multiple configuration and frequency changes plus check lists a sensible distribution of the workload is the safe way to go, may be you haven't experienced it yet? From your strange, bad tempered outburst it certainly sounds like it. It is all about good flight deck management skills and airmanship. I hope you are not one of those hardy types who disconnects at 10,000 regardless and continues on in to, say, CDG leaving your colleague to cope with everything whilst you sit their, hands firmly on the controls, singing out your requirements? As I said in my post, it is a matter of judgement and good judgement is what you are paid for as well as looking after your passengers and aircraft, exposing all to the minimum of risk.

The majority of recent accidents/incidents involving loss of control appear to have more to do with electronics that go haywire and bits that fall off, rather than any basic weakness in hand flying, indeed, when was the last CFIT due to sub-standard hand flying?

Last edited by parabellum; 1st Jul 2009 at 13:57.