PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus cadets - out of the closet!
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2002, 15:13
pjdj777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW - let's just say if the wx is good enough we'll be playing at my home ground

From some of the emails, well a few really, that I've received it seems that some people out there don't know about the Astraeus cadets and what the scheme is so here are the basics:

at the start of the year Astraeus and Pprune got together to give five wannabes the chance of six months exprience with an airline, qualifying criteria was a frozen ATPL (CAA/JAA), current instrument rating and no previous multi crew experience. Five of us were selected from about 180 applicants and we started training at BA Cranebank on 08.04.02.

The course with BA works this way - 12 days ground school (inc 10 fixed base sim sessions), three prog tests and a final exam on the 737-436 followed by 300/500 differences and an exam.

After a break of a week or so we went into the full motion sim, 8 sessions the last of which was the LST. During those 8 sessions you see a helluva load of failures, it's very intensive and tiring but all good fun.

The LST itself was 4 hours, 2 as Pilot Flying and two as Pilot Not Flying, and mine included engine failures, engine failure after take off, single engine ILS, go around and NDB, flight director failure, system A hydraulic failure (manual gear extension), rapid decompression and emergency decent, raw data ILS, Captain incapacitation, rejected take off and evacuation.

We've just finished differences for the -700, and will hopefully be base training tomorrow and then SEPs next week.

It's all go, I'm off to bed, night night.