Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 13:37
augustusjeremy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phc

from post 1190:

Quote:
At FL 370 with a SAT to -51 ° C and a wind from 080 to about 18 Kts on AWY UB612 with OFF SET 1R, between the OBD and MLK in radio contact with Khartoum, as we were at the edge of layer cloudy with some light turbulence, I tied PAX.

We were at dusk with low brightness.
Then we entered the layer, and soon after we started having a slight BURNING SMELL that lasted about twenty seconds and that did not appear to be of volcanic origin (no smell of rotten eggs), but rather electrical smell to me and smell the air conditioning for the OPL. Then the smell has disappeared. The odor was confirmed by the PAX booth and PNC between rows 3 and 14 thereafter.

from a poster at the (already famous) Tim Vasquez website:

Quote:
I am an Airbus A330/A340 Senior Training Captain (IRE/TRE) with Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong. As I'm sure you can imagine we experience our fair share of CB activity; and between June and October - Typhoons. We regularly get small ice deposits on the windscreen wipers and ice detector as cold as -54C. Very small amounts, but ice none the less. It only occurs in the upper levels of the anvil of active Cbs and enough to justify the use on engine anti-ice.

On 28th Sept 2004 ( I was a a brand new Captain) there was well defined typhoon ( I can't remember the name) centred on airway A1 between Taiwan and Kagoshima in southern Japan. The SAT at FL390 was around -56C. Heading South, it looked like we could make it over the top of the storm. As we reached the southern rim of the eye the temperature rose instantly to -39C and we entered a violent Cb. The ice build up was dramatic to say the least. Most of the lower half of the windscreen became encrusted and we encountered an electrical BURNING SMELL (which is not uncommon in the A330 in upper cloud).

Once we exited the cloud, the ice disappeared pretty quickly. There was no noticeable effect on the instruments
I posted this some days ago...
Do the PHCs share any buses with other computers/controllers ?