PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 06:52
Nightrider

If all the systems, especially the pitot / static, gave up their dedicated jobs the aircraft falls back into direct pilot mode... Given the fact that at about 04:10 French summertime the alert level of any European is not at the peak level, it will be too easy to blame any human being at the controls for taking wrong actions based on wrong assumptions / identification.
We need to stop speculating about this as there is absolutely no evidence to this.
We do not even know for sure which presentation of individual problems was available to the crew, all guessing so far.

What caught my attention, as I am not an AB pilot, was the position of the pitot probes and TAT probes. as seen on photo posted by PJ2 in #2529.
They are all located very much on the lower side of the fuselage as well as very far forward. With an approximately 3 degr nose-up attitude in cruise (as I recall to have read here somewhere), a slow down in speed (as may be assumed due to turbulence induced climb) will expose these probes even more prominent to any weather condition the aircraft is facing.
It looks on the photo as if the captain's pitot probe and TAT probe as well as the stby pitot probe are less than a meter apart; excluding FOD as there is no evidence which allows hail to be assumed, there still remains the icing possibility, a fact which is obviously ascertained due to the various bulletins and modifications in force / progress.
Again, I am no AB pilot, but where are the pitot / TAT probes on the 340, are they at the same location?
May a different location of said items provide better protection, i.e. middle of fuselage behind window 3 and L1 door?