Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 19:18
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lemurian;
Do I make sense ?
Yes.
The fact is that when the A/P was lost, the AFCS had already determined that it couldn't work with the amount of suspect data coming from at least 2 ADRs...the voting about which is wrong and should be taken out first, then the determination on whether the comparisons between the data from the remaining ADRs was worth performing happens somewhere else, here, inside the PRIMs.
All this is very confusing.
Interestingly, this has led us to the same issues which arose in the Amsterdam B737 stall accident, that issue being, the difficulty in determining which of two datasets is the accurate one. Peter Ladkin expressed these issues far better than I of course but it is not a simple matter of just selecting the "working" computer...

The design works brilliantly and I think those who fly the Airbus would agree it is a joy to fly, but when a serious degradation of system capability occurs, the task of understanding what the fundamental, primary problem is and what, as an airman, one is to do first in terms of securing control of the aircraft, can quickly become an overwhelming challenge when also faced with external threats such as weather or traffic.