PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 06:46
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vapilot2004

PJ2 quoted P,R,Y limits a/p; ELAC quoted 3 Degrees deflection per side; I had thought 4 as well, I believe 6 total is correct.

I agree with all you say; this is not a standard event. At some point from stable cruise to bits in the Ocean there is wide latitude for conjecture. Something caused the VS to separate rather cleanly from the Fuselage. It may be more apparent the sequence/event after the briefing July 2. I won't exclude that the deflection seen on the Rudder at discovery and recovery is not the deflection that caused the separation, iow, full deflection to starboard. It took massive hydraulic power to put it there, and at sever, with no hydraulics or command to return it to neutral (or other), it may be there just as it was. The damage to the bottom of the Rudder may have been air induced, that portion, in the airflow, would be taking the brunt of the air.

Aside, We haven't addressed the engines yet, any water event that could damage all three pitots/statics could cause loss of power in one or both powerplants. If only one, there is a use for Rudder correction as well.