PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2009, 19:31
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up on the other points:

You will also be aware that the investigating RAF Board thought that the aircraft was in cloud and not flying VFR at waypoint change.
Thought, but have no evidence to support this thought.

If correct then the Pilots continued to fly in IMC (from prior to waypoint change until impact) without executing an emergency climb to Safety Altitude and turning away from impending danger.
If correct, I agree - negligence. However, there is no evidence to support this.

No Emergency R/T call was made, nor was the Transponder selected to Emergency or a SARBE actvated.
Why was the call to Scottish Military not answered, despite an investigation finding no fault with the equipment at Scottish Mil? Is it conceivable that the transponder setting found at the accident site could have been:
a) moved during the multiple impacts with the ground or
b) being changed by someone to the emergency setting?
If it is not possible, why not?

There was no evidence that the Passengers and Rear Crew had been instructed to adopt Crash Positions.
I don't recall this ever being mentioned anywhere before. (Happy to be corrected). Again, many of the bodies were ejected from the aircraft during the multiple impacts with the ground, so extremely unlikely that they would have remained in one position.

Finally, the evidence from the AAIB investigation suggested that an attempted escape manouvre had been initiated immediately prior to impact. If correct then this would indicate that the aircraft was indeed under control at that time.
The AAIB also suggested that pre-impact serviceability could not be ascertained.

No matter what opinions are put forward (including mine), there is always an alternative interpretation of the available information. Therefore, the requirement of absolutely no doubt whatsoever is not met.

Why the MoD does not accept this, after all this time, is beyond me.

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook