PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 10:36
regle

Icare9 How was raid organised ?

The coordination of the stream was a masterpiece of planning and we only had the'phone to do it ! Group T/O times were allocated to meld with other Groups and PFF ,and departure points, times and altitudes were coordinated within Groups. From then on times to get to different assigned altitudes were calculated according to types of aircraft, loads and speeds. From this would develop the times and altitudes over the different check points on the assigned route so that the times for the PFF to drop their T/I and T/P (Track Indicator and Turning Point) flares would be calculated. I was stationed at Wyton with PFF 109 Sqdn . for a brief time to learn about "Oboe" and was able to see the organisation from the Groups and PFF. There was a lot of "Infighting" went on and Squadrons were usually, very unhappy at the perceived "poaching" of their best crews for PFF. They "moaners" got short shrift from two of the toughest individuals that I have ever met; Don Bennett PFF Chief and "Butch" Harris.
Regarding the sightings of Aircraft being shot down; I, like many Captains, did not report or log these . Frankly, and coldheartedly, it became so commonplace an event that I deemed it bad for the morale to dwell upon it. ;It took time and upset the vital concentration required for
the eternal watch for enemy fighters and friendly ,but equally fatal "Near Misses". Also there were so many other things that looked like aircraft explosions but were not. The rumour of "Scarecrow Flak" made to simulate an aircraft exploding was rife and always denied by the powers that be to be nonsense but was widely observed . There was so much going on that it was impossible to do your job properly if you allowed yourself to be diverted by anything. Once again "The Price of Safety is Eternal Vigilance ".
Lastly, for any of you that really want to get their teeth into the very smallest details of a minute by minute account from the start to finish of a Squadron's day of "Ops"(At least eight detailed chapters ) then you should get hold of a copy of "Snaith Days", Life with 51 Sqdn. 1942-45" by Keith Ford. ISBN 0 9517965 1 8. I have never ever seen such attention to detail anywhere. It is not cheap (£13) but it is all there with drawings and plans of equipment and routes even airfield lighting (Drem) systems. It starts with a tour around the Station and you feel that you are there (Over 2,000 personnel !) and even describes the very beds and stoves that we had. I assure you that I have no financial interest whatsoever but you will be surprised at the depth of detail even down to how the sewage was disposed of ! Reg.

Last edited by regle; 26th Jun 2009 at 17:44.