PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 17:46
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrathmonk
I appreciate your addressing the callsign issue – it would be nice if someone would confirm it. The reason I have pressed on this is that more than one credible source had told me it was a tactical callsign that was appropriate for a SAR exercise.

Dalek
<<Within accuracy limits of plotting from a half mil LFC. There is no misplot of the lighthouse. >> I would have thought that with more than one way point obviously being derived from convenient grid intersections on OS maps that there was use of more than the LFC to which you refer – and way point A was not a safe route waypoint as I have argued before – you simply cannot concede a (way)point, can you? If they were doing coarse route flying in the way you and BOAC suggest it is done, why on earth would they have gone as close in as the position of waypoint change with the visual conditions ahead as they were?

Tandemrotor's D Notice
Now there's an interesting thing, TR's post #4973 aimed at Cazatou: TR has been privy, it seems to info that only the interested parties have had access too – and says it would be a crime for any lesser mortals to get hold of it – and even if they heard it from someone, it could not be regarded as anything more than hearsay. Well may they say that “we shall never know what happened” (so oft repeated in so many ways). What the hell could there be, apart from perhaps some specific operational procedures, that is not safe to divulge to the public after all this time? Anything that has bearing on this crash should be made openly available to give a chance for fresh minds to try and sort it out – after all, TR's “ ...many extremely well informed individuals on the 'right' side of the argument ...” have not gotten anywhere in fifteen years.

General point
Cazatou and I have different views entirely on the possible causes of this crash – the one thing we have in common is that we are, albeit in different areas from different perspectives, trying wherever possible to establish pertinent details – this seems to contrast with so many posters here that argue against anything being determinable. While individual items of data that could be termed significant can, on their own, be argued there is sufficient available data for correlation such that a specific scenario fitting all such data has a very high probability of being correct.