PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 15:51
Captain Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relief Pilots

I can only add my hours as experience as a International Captain for a Major Airline. All our FO's at our airline have been here for quite a while. I would not have a problem taking a nap during my rest cycle. However that was not always the case.

Several years ago when we were hiring we were putting guys into the right seat of the 757 and 767 aircraft into the International Division. A fellow Captain had told me that he just got through flying to LGW from DFW with 2 newbie's in the 2nd and 3rd seat. He told me he took his break in the cockpit just to make sure.

Well it comes my turn and I get called out to fly to ZRH. Meeting the 2 FO's in operations I noted that when I signed in for the trip the FO had 139 hrs in the 767 and the FB (extra First Officer) only had about 50+. This was not their total flying time however, just since they started flying for us and the time that they had in the 757/767 Fleet.

They were young guys probably mid to late 20's straight from the commuters with no jet experience at all much less flying a heavy aircraft across the pond over to Europe and beyond. I would be by myself for the most part.

Needless to say I did not take my break in the back. I simply couldn't let these two young guys get in over their heads while trying to coast out and follow the North Atlantic Track Procedures. I let them do as much as they could but they really were in over there heads experience wise.

Sometimes airlines rush to put people into certain positions simply because they can. They rely a lot on experienced Captains and experienced First Officers to pass their knowledge along to the next guy. Sometimes you get this gut feeling and you just have to make the best decision that you can. Even if you step on someone's toes. You are responsible for everything and everyone is counting on you.

Who was in the Cockpit on the Air France Flight? No one knows at this time. Only when and if they recover the CVR will they know. And lets only hope that they find it soon. We need the answer to this tragedy as soon as we can.