PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 13:16
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodja51;

Your post very well-stated and balanced. Ninety-nine percent of the time it isn't an issue, but each flight is different and it is up to the captain to determine how the flight will be handled.

I don't think the issue requires the sweeping comments as some who disagree with you have provided - more subtlety, borne of experience in doing this kind of flying, is needed to understand what is being said. It isn't a matter of trust, or being over-bearing, it is a matter of assessing all factors within an environment in which a high degree of competence and skill already exists. A brand-new CRP (Cruise Relief Pilot - not permitted to occupy the front seats below cruise), who has just passed all the airline's requirements isn't as competent as a CRP who has flown extensively in these areas either in a previous life or as CRP for a few years, and as a captain I would (and quietly did) assess enroute weather and judge that accordingly, as I should.

In my experience, the proper use of airborne radar is not taught and not every pilot is equally "into the books". (I wrote the post on radar on the other thread for this reason.) If there is weather enroute, I think that is an important bit of knowledge to establish and was one factor among many which I quietly assessed before taking my break. It was never as black-and-white as some have characterized.

'nuff thread drift. Re the pingers - Damn.