PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 12:23
warmkiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to woodja 51 and followers like Fullworward...

could you please stop this crap about poor handling/decision making of FO/SFO flying the plane while CPT is in his rest.

"lack of hands on time when it really mathers" do you think your FO is learning less on his leg being PF than you when you are PF?

So the AF FO/SFO spent thousands of hours learning nothing what really mathers? what do you really think about your fellow pilots? Only captains gain valuable experience when flying and somebody who sits in the same plane flying next sector doesnt?
If this is the case, you should maybe check why you dont give your collague chance to do so?

"But if I think that the F/Os are not up to speed to do an Atlantic crossing at night, avoid weather etc, it is time to chuck it in"

So what do you do? stay awake or have a nightmare in your rest that the youngsters cant handle the heavy at night past 10W. Yeah, i have been flying with these CPTs too, really seldom, but a few times. I can tell they were not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Usually lack of selfconfidence and below average pilot skills make them feel unconfortable in the cockpit. they fear loss of control and therefore over react to any situation what they cant totally foresee. this makes them believe, only them can handle the plane and generates a distrust towards younger collegues.

if you have doubts about the skill and experience level of your crew, feel free to contact your training department

poor copilots will become poor captains and poor captains were poor copilots before the upgrade. i have encountered both, cross your fingers they dont fly together when the **** hits the fan...

in the AF447 there were professional collagues trying their best, which for sure had enough experience but maybe not enough luck that night...

back to fact finding...

L