PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europa XS monowheel
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 08:36
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europa

I had a Europa G-BWRO #196 from 1997-2002 and put 560h on it.

It was a monowheel "classic" and if I am honest I took a little time to get used to it (I went through a couple of props) despite having 250+h spamcan time under my belt and being relatively young (if that makes a difference).
I had both tailwheel configurations and found the mark 2 tailwheel far more forgiving than the Mk 1.

It cruised between 120-130kts depending on conditions and was the least expensive air-time I have ever had - especially when I flew it over in the US and Canada. I learned to change the oil and even re-wired the panel on my kitchen table - it was a fun experience.

My father took the aircraft over in 2002 and tried to get used to the monowheel but found it too much of a handful. It is pretty squirelly and can focus the attention in a crosswind.

He put the tri-gear undercarriage on but found this rather weak and under-engineered (instead of going through props he went through a few nose legs!)

The basic premise of the aircraft design is excellent.
Ivan Shaw really got it spot-on in terms of the flying characteristics, stability in the air and handling properties. The takeoff roll and landing rollout are the most vulnerable periods and you had to really stay ahead of it.

In some ways it is a little like the Robinson R22 helicopter - a wonderful but very light machine - great for honing your flying skills after which you will fly far more precisely - I wouldn't push the crosswind limits in one or want to spend prolonged periods going long distances in the fuel-smelling cockpit (they all smelled badly of fuel).

If you want cheap (relatively) fast flying then go for it.
It will make you a better pilot and if and when you move onto heavier stuff you will do a better job.

SB

Last edited by scooter boy; 15th Jun 2009 at 10:50.