PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 15:03
Gergely Varju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Concerns: Sorry if it is a bit offtopic, etc. I agree with what you say, but I think it is a responsibilty of both our politicans and the self loading freight.

Why? Safe operation is mandatory, but if the management knows their aircraft isn't safe and people die, noone from the management is charged for it. No personal consequences for unsafe operations, but more premiums from extra profit if you ignore safety? It invites disaster to happen.

But the problem isn't here. If pax decides: if AF ignores SBs and some planes aren't that safe then we don't fly with them, because the contract is for a safe flight, etc. then AF wouldn't ignore SBs.

I am not sure how it works in your country, but in Hungary the generic population is less interested in which airline is safe, and more interested, if some package for a celebrity (who became one without any merit or real talent) was lost somehow. Or the "drama" or anything else, but not their safety.

Even if pax can raise stupid questions there, they vote with their money about safety, and their vote can determine the safety for pilots as well.

I don't want to start another Airbus - Boeing argument here. Probably we don't know what is better.

But most pax have an assumption about which is safer. Yet most of them ignore it when they can save an euro or two this way. If they ignore their assumption, they won't care about SBs they don't even know about.

And most companies simply do what customers want.

For them GSM on board, a few cents worth of discount, etc. are all more important than safety and this is why companies spend money to provide GMS service and not on reliable communication with ATC, following SBs, etc.

We decided to keep SLF discussion on this topic at minimum, since it is easier to moderate a single thread this way. If we would use the public exposure, would have a subforum, where SLF can learn and they would next vote for safety with their money? Then the picture would be different.

Our choices are part of the real world that makes ignoring SBs profitable. And even if it is a small part of picture, and our influence is pretty hard to notice, we should make sure our decisions contribute to safety and not to any future accident. Because if we don't follow this "example" then why would anyone else do it? But if many people decides even if his individual influence doesn't matter he stay security conscious that can have some effect.