PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2009, 13:55
Junkers388L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bomb would be the only way of explaining the lack of even a brief mayday on behalf of the pilots.
Bingaling, this is jumping to a conclusion and irresponsible speculation.

The facts are, to the best of my knowledge:

No mayday call (or other voice communication indicating problems) by AF447 was received by anyone after 2:10Z on June 1st.

This does not necessarily mean no transmission was made. Potential interpretations are (the list below does not claim to be complete):
  • Flight crew did not make an emergency transmission: e.g. because they stuck to the Avigate, Navigate, Communicate principle and tried to sort out the problems in controlling the airplane and dealing with system failures they had; flight crew incapacitation might be another reason (ref. Helios accident)
  • Flight crew made a transmission, but nobody received it: nobody was within range and tuned to the frequency they used, atmospheric conditions degraded or garbled their transmission
  • Flight crew attempted to make a transmission, but was unsuccessful: we essentially do not know what happened to the aircraft after 2:14Z, except that it crashed, so by the time they decided to make the call, systems/components required to achieve a successfull transmission might have been lost, ... (myriads of reasons)
ONLY the CVR (if ever recovered) can give a conclusive answer as to whether the flight crew attempted to make an emergency transmission or not!!!

Edit: As thankfully pointed out by "forget" and "Graybeard", the FDR also records mic keys, i.e. one would be able to see whether the crew made attempts to transmit a message over the radio (and I think even if it was the CPT or F/O).

Last edited by Junkers388L; 10th Jun 2009 at 14:49.