PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2009, 07:44
Boomerang_Butt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of questions (no expertise aside from being CC flying on the Airbus family)

I've tried reading through but this thread has gone from page 33 to 43 in the time I've been reading.... so, apologies if this has already been answered.

I know there are a couple of posters here involved in SAR operations... would use of satellite imaging be at all useful in helping to locate debris/people and so on... I mean some posters are saying there is a lack of a 'dense debris field'.. but how can we really know that in such a large area? (currents/winds prediction aside) Could there be other areas of debris/people which will not be found for days/weeks/months/ever? So would there be any coverage to a degree which would give any help in finding (large) areas of debris, or is it kept to the old grid/search pattern method by air/sea vessels? Would anyone in possession of such pictures likely not be willing to admit it (for political reasons)?

and 2.

Why is everyone getting so hung up on radios/comms/maydays etc, when we may not ever know if the crew did, or did not, communicate... simply put, (and I'll ask as a question to refrain from 'speculating') could they have been trying multiple times to have contact and it was never heard? I gathered from earlier postings this could be the case given the remote area & being out of the radar coverage/difficulties with HF etc in weather... not to mention having their hands full.

Again, I leave it to those with more experience than I, was just wondering about the satellilite thing today while looking out the window thinking what a wide area the ocean is from that high...