PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FireFly crashed after un-recovered spin
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2009, 16:35
mac_scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50+ray - the comments on any possible flick aspects of the T67 come from the report I referenced, not personal experience. Report suggest left aspect of flick is torque related - quote below.

"Aircraft handling
Discussions with the manufacturer's chief test pilot revealed that the T67 aircraft can be encouraged to 'flick' (ie pitch up and roll rapidly) by aggressive positive pitch demand. If this control input is applied the aircraft will tend to flick rapidly to the left as a result of engine torque reaction. "

Model here was T67C with a piston Lycoming, obviously a bit different from a T67M so don't know if this aspect applies to that model.

Sorry if my first post read as an attempt to blame the T67 for the 98 crash, if it came across that way it wasn't intentional. I loved flying the T67 and never felt unsafe in it at any time - would go back in one tomorrow without a concern.

Primary cause of the 98 accident was low level flying but report does imply that the flick aspect might have been a secondary factor when large positive pitch demands were made for last minute terrain avoidance.

As for my instructor at the time as a low time PPL I obviously can't comment on his abilities as an instructor.... But as I remember it he was always more nervous near the stall in the T67 than the Katanna.