PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA next after Barclays and Morrisons?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 16:02
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fund will surely be closed to current employees as well in the near future. CM - I can understand your view - you were between a rock and a hard place in accepting the present arragements for new employees. I don't think is was a pleasant place to be, and it is besides water under the bridge.

My key objection to the closure of DB schemes is the extraordinarily bad deal that private employees (who actually generate the wealth in the country) get in comparison to those in the public sectors - a vast group whom we are directly funding, who in some cases have no fund behind their promised pensions, but are paid from current taxation.

Given the advantages in moving between employers with DC schemes, I would not advocate a return to fairy-tale DB schemes, but a complete and total termination of all DB schemes, particularly public sector promises that are unfunded, and retrospective awards by company CEOs to themselves.

The reality in a world of low interest rates, ridiculous actuarial calculations and other-wordly accounting regulators is the strangulation of British enterprise to the point of suffocation.

No wonder BA is referred to as a pension scheme with an airline attached.