PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FireFly crashed after un-recovered spin
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2009, 09:34
mac_scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T67 Flick on pitch input

Short hours PPL but I learnt to fly on a T67B out of Woodford.

Back in 1998 while I was doing my PPL a T67 crash claimed two lives (student and chief instructor at test pilot school at Woodford). Planned exercise was spin performance but accident report (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_501247.pdf) suggests spin part of sortie was completed successfully and crash was during an unplanned low level return to Woodford.

Report mentions the T67's ability to flick rapidly to the left as a result of high pitch input. Likely cause of this accident, as a result of terrain avoidance at low level?

I flew both the T67 and the Diamond Katanna during my PPL training and I can remember my instructor being VERY, VERY nervous during approach to the stall/recovery training in the T67 (never even demonstrating a full stall) while being quite happy to allow us, with me at the controls, to go fully into the high AoA, wallowing, loss of altitude that passed for a stall in the much more benign Katanna.

BTW I loved flying the T67 and found it a pleasure to fly, much more lively than the Katanna, but was always very wary to keep well away from stalling.

Thoughts with family and friends of the instructor lost in this incident. I can remember the atmosphere at Woodford in the weeks after the 98 crash, I didn't know the lost crew there but knew people who were close friends of the CFI who went down, sad times :-(.