PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France A330-200 missing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2009, 07:33
Mr Quite Happy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Willoz269
Terrorism is far more unlikely (given the current political climate) on a French jet than on an American jet...but still possible....terrorism follows a cause (however they justify it)...it is just that in the current political climate, there is no cause against France in International politics....which makes a bombing unlikely, but still possible
No cause against FR in Intl politics? France, like 46 other countries are in Afghanistan. It has 3000 troops there, Australia has 1500 and that was enough to justify the Bali bombing so what makes France immune? Algeria and a long history is another example of Intl politics...

The fact is however that I agree with you, this is almost def not a terrorist bombing, not least for the apparent failure of anyone (credible) to try and take credit for it.

However, its not just terrorists that plant bombs, criminals, drug lords, insurance fraudsters, governments have all – historically – brought down passenger planes to kill one or all people on a flight for various reasons. Bombs are the number 1 way to bring down an aircraft and the best place to do that is over the ocean to prevent follow up investigations.

That practically AF’s first words on the subject were “its not a terrorist attack” or words to that effect is the standard airline industry opening line because nobody in the industry wants people to stop flying. That the news media can only think in terms of bombs=terrorists=denial=weather=lightning strike is a bit of a pity, and why I came to PPRUNE and not BBCnews.co.uk. But just because the media isn’t thinking about it doesn’t mean that the authorities aren’t on the case - just as they are scanning the passenger list for potential bombers they'll also be scanning the list for potential targets - judges, politicians, criminal kingpins, celebrities, gingers etc..

My thoughts are with all concerned and I hope a quick investigation. If my (unlikely but not impossible bomb) theory turns out to be correct I am sure the French DGSE will be on the case and I cannot think of anyone else possibly apart from Mossad I would rather have hunting the globe for a bit of revenge.