PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Manston – History of No. 1 AEF (1967 to 1995)
Old 1st Jun 2009, 18:35
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RAF Manston – History of No. 1 AEF (1967 to 1995)

Hi everyone…

Some of you may know that the AEF (Air Experience Flight) organisation turns 51 this coming September. Over the years this organisation, which was originally equipped with Chipmunk aircraft, has been an invaluable “recruiter” for not only the RAF but the Fleet Air Arm along with the Army Air Corps across all ranks and trades. Many UK aircrew (Mil or Civil), past and present, will have probably gained their first thrill for flying in the back of a Chipmunk !

Having had the privilege of serving with No. 1 AEF for nine years back in the 70’s and early 80’s, as a small tribute, I have authored a brief history on Wikipedia that I thought some of you might find of interest… or even jog a few early memories !

1 Air Experience Flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be really great to hear from past “customers”… even better if you could share some photos and stories.

I’m still looking to add to the article… where any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly keen to find out more on the pre Manston era, but appreciate that might be a bit of a long shot now. Equally, I’d appreciate any detail from 1981 to the date the Flight closed at Manston in 1995.

There may have been other aircraft serials on the fleet at times… where it would be good to add these to the fleet list (even find out if they are still flying)… so time to look at the 414 or your 3822 (if you still have it !)

Maybe some contribution from the current 1 AEF Team down at St Athan who carry on the good work today ?

Kind regards

Coff.

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 16th Jan 2010 at 15:28.