PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1,750 jobs to go at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 07:57
heads_down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunfish

Forty Two days have elapsed since the announcement of QF's plan to cut 1750 positions.

Sixteen PPRuNe pages and 317 posts of mostly speculation about cuts, with a few nuggets about the low hanging fruit - contractors, being told to pack their bags.

This is not good. The reason it is not good is because it indicates, at best, bad management, at worst, it is a form of workplace bullying.

When you cut workforce size, you either do it "quick and dirty" or "slow and clean". The alternative "slow and dirty" maximises the stress on staff.

By "quick and dirty", I mean 1750 people at once get the "Don't come Monday" notice. You always do it on a Friday to give everyone a few days rest. You pay all entitlements absolutely and in my opinion you should also add a bonus on top of that for the associated trauma.

The following Monday morning, you come out with the inspirational message to staff about how those left behind will cope and that there are no more cuts planned and today is a new beginning.

"Slow and clean" on the other hand, involves open consultation with all staff about where the company is going and the statement that not all employees will want, or be allowed, to continue the journey. You then open up negotiations, trot out your VR plan, organise your retraining and job finding scheme, organise send off parties on a weekly basis etc. etc.

The middle way, "Slow and dirty" involves no consultation, deliberate secrecy, the generation of rumours, staccato removal of people with no apparent rhyme or reason over many many weeks. No one is "safe" it is a never ending process.

Yet this "slow and dirty" process seems to be what Qantas has used in the past and is continuing to use which does not in my opinion, bode well for the company. We saw it in the treatment of the poor bloody Melbourne maintenance engineers, today perhaps their work would be outsourced, tomorrow perhaps not. Let them stew. They don't matter. The "Legacy Airline" quote was also a deliberate passive aggressive threat to everyone who worked at mainline - it's a form of workplace bullying.

It seems to me that nothing has changed, unless I am mistaken, and Qantas will continue to treat it's staff with the utter contempt that has become its hallmark, to the detriment of staff, shareholders and the travelling public.
This is precisely what I had been trying so hard to tell people in this thread, much to my disgust, members here gang up against me becos they alleged I was anti-qantas

Please people, just look at how Qantas treats its people

Qantas has never been one to invest in its people, treat its people with respect and listen to its people's concern.

It is one company that treats its people like crap, than push them into mud, jiggle it heaps than take it out of mud and slam it into the wall and watch you slide down in that sorry state
Qantas does not believe anyone but management are the only ones that contributed to its success
Actually also teach its people not to respect each other through its own selfish actions.

It is sad that no one saw this coming, how could you not see this coming?

I wonder why they are getting rid of actually "skilled" labor, as opposed to getting rid of "unskilled" labor, a good place to start looking for 'unskilled" labor should start behind the glass walls at qcc1. From there's it's both moving upwards and downwards and there you have it, all 1750 idiots and totally unskilled of no credentials labor that should have been sacked since Howard left office.

Last edited by heads_down; 26th May 2009 at 08:27.